SailNet Community - View Single Post - Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007

Vans is on a distinguished road
Sailorman mentioned the MacGregors. I have to admit that i considered one of these as an entry level boat. Inexpensive, easy to trailer, seems easy to operate. Do others share sailorman's opinion on these?\

Thanks everyone on boat opinions, suggestions and information.

Can someone calm my fears about getting caught in a storm? Considering i have the most minimal of experience on a sailboat and zero in bad weather conditions, i have some , most likely wrong, preconceived ideas about it. I cant imagine that one keeps all the sails up as they would get torn to shreds and it seems it would make sailing a bit more dangerous.

I know while in bad seas in a power boat the engine is vital to keep one in proper position on the swells, especially while crossing the bar. Is the, what seems a smallish to me, engine on a sail boat used in such conditions?

I just finsihed reading the online book of the gentleman, from Oregon as it happens, who bought a small sailboat and sailed around the world for two years. http://vps.arachnoid.com/sailbook/index.html

He seemed to gloss over his experience in bad seas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook