SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much should I offer for this boat
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: How much should I offer for this boat

Yes, deals with friends rarely turn out positive once you get over a hundred dollars. The first issue you run into can be a bone of contention, and would prefer to not deal with friends or family in such transactions. I don't know what the value is, but I think Mainesail is on the right track but could be a bit low but not much. Why are they selling? Thing is unless they find someone like you who is familure with the work they put into it, it is still worth the 3,600 they bought the boat for, with the exception of the new outboard, so I would add the price of the value of the now used outboard and go with that. The rest of the stuff is really just maintenance, but very good maintenance. The only thing on a boat like that that will increase the value is the motor and a new trailer.

It is not like a collectors car where money put into it will increase the value, it just keeps it going. I doubt they were under any allusions that the value would go up much with the work, likely he enjoys the work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook