SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Mark, normally I enjoy your posts, but this one has just harshed my morning mellow...
Brent's boats apparently do appeal to some people because he has sold quite a few of them, and collectively they have logged hundreds of thousands of miles in waters all over the world. I would not mind owning one of them as I do like bilge keel boats and steel. I have a lot of respect for Brent as a designer and sailor - compared to him, I know squat. Obviously Bob Perry is a legend, and I would not get in the middle of these two guys talking shop.
Generally I agree with you kc. I personally don't think Brent's boats are "pretty", but they are undoubtedly functional and relatively durable.

The only part of your statement that I would challenge is the bold part. I see very little that points to Brent as a "designer" in any context that would include Bob.

Brent is a builder. He has some very good, practical ideas on how to build stuff. But I don't think he is a "designer" any more than a carpenter is an architect. I think that is very evident in his arguments with Bob. Further, I think this "designer" moniker that Brent seems to want to assume is actually the source of a lot of the issues being argued. It just doesn't fit Brent, and it is an important distinction.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a good builder. But there's no reason to put a designer label where it's not appropriate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-19-2013 at 11:00 AM.