SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: America's Cup : the LV finale - race two

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post

On a less generous note, it troubles me a little bit to think that this was precisely the sort of "action" that Ellison / Coutts have in mind for attracting non-sailing fans to the AC - i.e., making it more like NASCAR. Not being a fan of NASCAR or of any activity that promotes itself based on the dangers to the participants - though I need to be careful because even the VOR and Vendée Globe sometimes lean in that direction - I'd prefer not to see these kinds of accidents at all. But that's just me, and I'm not Mr. Risk Averse in personal life. Just don't like to see that factor used to promote "spectator interest" when the thing itself is more than entertaining and exciting enough without accidents.

My 2 euros.

Mr.P
I agree but I don't see the parallel with Nascar. What happens here is that the machines are so hard to drive at the limit that the minimum error could result in a spectacular figure. It happens the same in F1. The best go very near the limit and if they pass the limit...well the least it can happen is a spin. That was like a spin. It looked normal to me and not dangerous as you have pointed out.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook