SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

[QUOTE]factor used to promote "spectator interest"/QUOTE]

Not that I agree with some sports salaries these days, nor am I a fan of any team of anything right now, but creating general spectator interest/excitement and growing viewership comes before growing funding and then increasing participation in sailing. Safety development is key especially when pushing limits, and as in F1 and NASCAR, precious lives will be lost, as we have in ocean racing (Low Speed Chase), cruising (Nina), and the recent AC (Simpson), all discussed in Sailnet.

To me, it was actually the VOR/ Extreme 40 circuit that untapped potential of multiple media in sailing sport. (How many of us spent the whole season online playing our own "virtual VOR?") This is how new players like Puma put (and apparently lost) a lot of money in the game, which then translated to consumer products, interest, etc. The Xtreme 40 circuit was all about promoting bay/stadium shows and promoting destinations as well. I'm just thinking it's very good for the sport that they're catching on to the auto industry/motorsport tools and strategies.

Sorry for my extended off topic here, hadn't posted in a while, and it's a provoking topic, especially when I used to follow (and do my bit of) motorsport too.

Paulo, glad it was just a scratch!

Best to all,

Hans

Last edited by HMoll; 08-19-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook