SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who pays for the food and beer?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Here's the bottom line...

Do you like winning? Are you willing to pay a little bit for that? Do you want to have your pick of the very best crew available? Well then, keep paying for the beer. Everyone will know that you do that, and all the very best crew will have no problem deciding who they want to sail with--YOU!

Stop paying for the beer, and instead of getting your pick of the very best available, you'll just get whoever decides that maybe they like sailing with you, or whoever no one else has picked.

It's a pretty simple equation, when you get down to it.
What a load of crap.

I've supplied food, booze and personal gear, and got less-than-mediocre crew in return.

I've raced on other boats who provided everything, and got the same underwhelming performance.

I've raced on BYOB boats, where the crew was outstanding, and made it to the podium most of the time.

I've seen crew willingly race with screaming a$$holes, simply because the guy had a fast boat, and half a clue which end of the boat should cross the finish line first.

There are so many other factors in play besides providing food and drink. One of the biggest factors, is simply whether or not the boat is fast, or winning. People want to be winners, so they ally themselves with a winner boat, whether the guy is a jerk, provides comforts or not.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook