Re: PSC37 pre purchase investigations
Below are the questions I came up with when looking at our boat (referred to as MM in the notes). The list was mostly based on reading through the posts on this board going Way Back through the Archives. Good luck!!!
Questions for inspection and Survey
Specific concerns gathered from the Internet Discussion Groups:
• Compression Post
o Rot in the very bottom of the compression post
o Rot at the lip of shower pan
o What material compression post is made of below floors – if oak double or triple check rot down there
• Check the limber holes in the structural bulkheads in the bilge and under the head. Some limber holes were not finished and rot started in there.
• Check the midship structural bulkheads where they join the hull to be sure there is no delamination or stress damage
• Check bottom of thwartship brace aft of the fuel tank for rot at bottom
• Check for possible rot resulting form condensation at hull/deck joint around upholstered plywood edge of overhead.
o Steering on MM is very stiff. Why?
o Condition of steering cables, and gear (hard to get at)
o With wheel locked, play in rudder? PSC says holes in rudder post (?rudder bolts) may enlarge and require a sleeve or a larger bolt. Not good.
o Condition of rigging after hard usage.
o Condition of Chainplates. There are many reports of cracks especially cracks near the top bolt hole/head, rust streaking. This is especially a problem because of use of square carriage bolts which localize stress at corners of holes.
• Engine oil analysis on diesel.?
• Fuel tank, look for deterioration at bottom of tank (?how?)
• Leaking on lid of aft water tank
• Smell in head
o Permeated hoses?
o Hairline cracks in tank?
o Cover on holding tank? (check under v-berth cushion! )
• Check for sticky spots of uncured gel-coat in lockers (vee berth and cockpit)
• Can gel coat be restored with compounding and waxing?