SailNet Community - View Single Post - how much experience do I need
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: how much experience do I need

You have a goal. Now you need a plan that will enable you to carry it out safely. There are books and threads that will help. Unfortunately to plan you need to do a fair amount of research first.
I disagree with the 100-300 hours experience thing. That said no doubt someone could sail a course after that time. However you also want to be able to handle pretty much whatever comes up, and plan to hopefully avoid much of it.
I suggest you do at least courses to coastal level. As much sailing as you can on other's boats, and then try crewing on the odd coastal ocean passage. The more you learn, the more you realise what you need to learn. Experience is the best teacher but you need quite a bit as there are always new things that come up.
I am not saying you have to be perfect, just that the more practice you have had you will know what you have mastered and what happens when you are found lacking.
One trainer suggests having someone experienced with you on first passages because their competence and confidence rubs off. It also helps to establish if you become seasick or freaked out by being out of sight of land as many people do.
Your proposed crew are unlikely to be much help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook