SailNet Community - View Single Post - I think the boat next to me is dragging
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: I think the boat next to me is dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Yeah, I forget about that stuff. Good reminder on why it's good to be out here...The liability issue never crosses my mind. Doing the right thing is more important to me, screw the lawyers.
The lawyers could actually be the least of your concerns... As capta alluded to earlier, boarding a boat at night - particularly one flying the Stars & Stripes - might conceivably involve the possibility of being met with someone brandishing a firearm...

I was anchored one night off Georgetown, Exumas, ten years ago... (March 19, 2003, to be precise, the night President Bush announced the start of the Iraq War) His speech to the nation that night was being broadcast on the local Cruiser's Net, most everyone was tuned in, precisely as a very intense squall preceding a frontal passage rolled thru Elizabeth Harbor...

I was tucked up close to the docks of Exuma Docking Services, peering out from under my dodger, when I saw a catamaran break free from it's mooring over in Kidd Cove. It took off like a shot through the cluster of boats anchored downwind, amazing it didn't collect anyone... Lots of shouting, but nobody really doing anything, so I jumped into my dinghy, and was barely able to chase it down with my little 2 HP Honda...

The guy had a woefully undersized Fortress on the bow, miraculously it bit, only about 200 meters short of fetching up on the ironshore to the SE...

Next morning on the Cruiser's Net, I made an announcement that I had noticed that the guy's mooring pennant had chafed thru at the deck, and that the failure had not been of the mooring gear itself... The boat had been left there by an absentee owner who had gone back to the States for awhile, and I didn't want anyone to get the impression that the mooring rented by Exuma Houseboats was less than secure...

During the day, a number of other cruisers stopped in passing by my boat, to offer their compliments/thanks for what I had done... The comments of not one, but TWO different cruisers, however, gave me pause...

Both treated me as if I was a bit of a naive' newbie to Bahamian cruising, and pointed out the extreme risk I had taken, in their opinion, given the percentage of cruisers toting guns in the Bahamas... Now, it seemed pretty obvious to me that the boat I had boarded the night before was unattended, but still - their comments definitely gave me pause...

In all my years of sailing the Bahamas, I must admit that thought had never really occurred to me... But, sadly, they were right, and it certainly is a consideration that one must factor in, and be absolutely certain that the boat was unoccupied before jumping aboard in a similar situation...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook