SailNet Community - View Single Post - Self steering dilemma
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Self steering dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Come to think of it, isn't there a less expensive option than Hydravane ? Yes I know they are very good indeed and for a round the world voyager probably the best option but with your boat @ 35' and working on the Pacific voyage ?

My old 28'er had a Plastimo which was more than adequately for what we needed and a damn sight cheaper than Hydravane.
Yes in theory. In reality I am not havng much luck. I am open to recommendations if anyone does genuinely know of a cheaper suitable alternative.

In terms of brand new units I have quotes from 4 different manufacturers. All within $1000 of each other. Second hand there was a Hydrovane on Ebay a month ago, a 70's model that looked like it had been in the back of a shed for 10 years and it was for sale for 1.5k, i would of spent alot more money making it work.

I could look to used servo style vanes, and I very well might. But on a centre cockpit these would be a PITA, and mean a complete rebuild of our swim ladder as well.

Your right....I hope, but damned if I can find it at the moment!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook