SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Rob, I'm a Sabre 34 MK1 owner, but I'm not rabid about it. In fact, as I've been following this thread, I've wondered if you'd be happy with a Sabre 34 MK1.
From a space perspective for a family.

It's a pretty traditional layout with two opposing settees. I also happen to like a Dinette arrangement like I had on my Bristol 29 years ago. I've thought about it. But you'd lose a water tank to achieve that. The most comfortable berth on my Sabre is the pullout in the salon.

With the dining table dropped and open, you can't easily access the head forward.
( most of my dining is done on deck, so it's not a real problem for me)

An aft head would be nice. To drop wet gear, and not have to walk through the salon.
The 362's and the 386 moved the head aft. There's not a full shower in the 34, rather the old sit on the seat...shower head on a hose style.

The Centerboard is not a problem. It's not weighted and I really don't need it until the wind pipes up on a beam reach or above. In 5-10 kn winds you'd probably not even bother with it.

Regarding speed. I don't race my boat, so I can't directly compare speed of a Sabre 34 vs a CC 35. But, I like to go fast and I don't, in practice, see many boats my size running away from me. I put new sails on a few years ago and I'm quite pleased with her performance. I personally see no need for a 150 genoa. I removed the old one and put on a 135. I also went to a loose footed main, which has helped light air performance.

You're more than welcome to come up for a sail...if you want to kick the tires, so to speak. I'm always happy to have company. We could even fly the gennaker.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook