SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

An Excellent Condition, Turnkey Boat

10K views 76 replies 32 participants last post by  TJC45 
#1 ·
This is the first boat we saw on our trip

1985 Sabre 38.
Price $79,500

"Patriot" is a turnkey boat with upgrades that include new Raymarine C90W chartplotter/GPS, New "ultra thin" TV, propane BBQ grill, reverse cycle heat & air and more. Classic example of the Sabre 38' that performs well and is in excellent condition. PRICE REDUCED - CALL NOW!

See less See more
#48 · (Edited)
Cap, i'm not doubting you. Just sayin' that it's a legal can of worms. If I were a broker I wouldn't agree to it. it is an arrangement where the only person coming out ahead is you. And, in fact the broker who put the deal together is getting less. While that works for you, there is no incentive for the buyer or broker to go along with it. And, if the answer is you get your way or you walk, then it's Cya!

I could see your plan working on a weak property where you as buyer have leverage. No so much on a strong property.

I'm trying to figure out why so many people are so intent on screwing salespeople out of hard earned commissions?

#53 ·
Knot 10 had two of the boats we were interested in seeing, though we only saw one. They weren't "our" broker.

From what the broker on Kent Island said, yes, they are new. But he said they are having their best year so far. The impression I got was he was more business-like than the other brokers. Where most of the other brokers acted more like the caretaker of the boat - giving us access and letting us look it over - the Knot 10 broker approached this in a more business-like manner. Sorry for my poor explanation, I can't take the feeling and put it into words at the moment.

Anyway, we both walked away thinking these guys could change the brokerage industry. At a time when everyone is counting their pennies, they are asking 3% less and selling their inventory faster and therefore putting more money in the hands of the seller faster. Time will tell.

#57 ·
I know of at least one boat that is probably going to end up being lost to the marina because the brokers have not been honest enough with the seller to let him know that he should accept any offer of any amount or he will never sell it. If you look at the ad here you can see why, it is a huge ferrocement ketch with a ton of mechanical problems and basically needs to be scrapped out for parts unless someone wants to spend a boatload (ha pun intended ) of money on it, and even then you would still have a ferrocement boat that is older than Moses.

1976 Samson 54 Sailing Ketch Boat for Sale (09760) in Vancouver, BC - Specs and Photos - POP Yachts

I feel really bad for the guy, but I doubt the $20,000.00 he is asking is going to be something that can be gotten for the boat that is in this much distress. His original asking price was $66,700.00 on THIS site, and I think it was $80k on another one I saw, poor guy just wants to get off the boat that he cannot maintain anymore and it has gone down so badly that it is worth probably less than nothing now.

Reactions: TJC45
#69 ·
Pop Yachts is weird, and I think they may be like Knot 10 (but I am not really familiure with knot 10) they are not a traditional brokerage. They find boats that are being listed by owner, and say they are asking 25,000 they will contact them and say they can get them 29,000 for the boat, but they take a 4,000 commission. Even if it sells for 6,000 they get that commission, as in fixed not percentage. The other thing is that you are free to sell it on your own and owe them nothing. I looked at a boat that I had seen both the Pop yachts and the craigslist ad. I contacted pop yachts but they would not return emails so I contacted the seller directly. They showed me the boat. I was only moderately interested as it was not in great shape, well inside it was but outside it was a crazed mess. I have never seen crazing like that every inch of the deck and topsides were crazed. But anyway there was some discussion as to if Pop Yachts would get a commission since I had registered with there site and asked about the boat. Then they started bombarding me with emails with boats all over the country. Nothing local to me, but a nice deal in California, another in Florida. And we are talking about mid 20,000 boats so it would cost me more than the boat was worth to get it to me.

They had one listing I was willing to make a full price offer on contingent on inspection (it was 12,000 so I was not going to even require a survey before purchase) but they delayed there responses to me and it sold. So I cannot say good things about PopYachts. To me it seems they mostly troll craigslist promising the world hoping to snag a sale without spending much time or money on it. They have hundreds of listings, if not thousands. My guess is that they make more off of the franchise fees to the brokers than off actually selling boats.

#58 · (Edited)
As for unethical salespeople, how about unethical customers?

We are nation of voracious consumers who hate to be sold anything and view salesman in derisive terms.

if a car salesman told you that "buyers are liars" you would be offended. Yet, the most common objection uttered by customers in dealership showrooms is "I want to think about it." This contrasts with industry surveys that show that more than 8 out of 10 potential customers who walk out of a showroom without buying, buy some place else. So, what the customer is really saying when they say "I want to think about it" is "I want to shop your price." Buyers are liars. it's an ugly statement, but one borne out of fact, not contempt.

Things are the way they are for a reason. The car dealer knows that if you walk out without buying there is an 80% chance you won't be back. High enough odds against, to risk offending you by pushing you. Everything they do is by design based on long history of dealing with the public. The customer views this over aggressiveness as unethical behavior. We don't like being pushed. Again, survey says most car sales don't happen before the third closing attempt. Pushing is how most sales get done. The saleman, in doing so, is using this knowledge to simply do his job. And, we as customers, have programed him into this process. How crazy is that?

When it come to boat sales, again things are the way they are for a reason. Time honed techniques for selling boats. if too many boats are over priced and misrepresented, it a practice in place for a reason. that reason being, it's the most effective way to get it done

#60 ·
As for unethical salespeople, how about unethical customers?

if a car salesman told you that "buyers are liars" you would be offended. Yet, the most common objection uttered by cuastomers in dealership showrooms is "I want to think about it." This contrasts with industry surveys that show that more than 8 out of 10 potential customers who walk out of a showroom without buying, buy some place else. So, what the customer is really saying when they say "I want to think about it" is "I want to shop your price." Buyers are liars. it's an ugly statement, but one borne out of fact, not contempt. ...
You seem to be saying that it's OK for a broker to lie about the condition of of a boat, but a car shopper is an "unethical liar" because he walks out of a dealership saying "I want to think about it" when he actually wants to commit the immoral sin of looking for a better price.

Dude, what planet do you live on?

#61 ·
A good salesman (broker, selling agent, etc.) will qualify a buyer, get to know what the buyer wants, where the buyer is on pricing and all the other qualifying factors that will give the salesperson the necessary information to increase the chance of making the sale. The better you know the buyer, the better the chances of making the sale.

Making statements like "the seller is firm on price" without first qualifying the buyer means risking scaring the buyer away.

Having an advertisement that improperly represents the actual product will give the buyer the impression the salesperson, and/or the company, is unscrupulous. Again, not a good way to go about selling things, especially big ticket items. This is not the kind of reputation I would want as a salesperson or for any company I may own.

#62 ·
A good salesman (broker, selling agent, etc.) will qualify a buyer, get to know what the buyer wants, where the buyer is on pricing and all the other qualifying factors that will give the salesperson the necessary information to increase the chance of making the sale. The better you know the buyer, the better the chances of making the sale.

Making statements like "the seller is firm on price" without first qualifying the buyer means risking scaring the buyer away.

Having an advertisement that improperly represents the actual product will give the buyer the impression the salesperson, and/or the company, is unscrupulous. Again, not a good way to go about selling things, especially big ticket items. This is not the kind of reputation I would want as a salesperson or for any company I may own.
Julie,

One of the things that I really always hated about having to do sales for my business was the fact that most people view salesmen as being shady individuals. I personally never allowed anyone representing my company to mislead or misrepresent the things we could do for our clients. I had some who tried it, and I fired them, and had to go clean up their lies with customers. It was always embarrassing, but it had to be done because you are actually selling your reputation, not the product or service.

#76 ·
In all four cases I negotiated pricing terms with the sales manager first, then he would hand me off to a salesman to finish the paperwork. They were thrilled with the arrangement, because it was a guaranteed sale for them, and an easy commission.

Funny how by going straight to the sales manager (usually by phone) and eliminating all the opportunity for gamesmanship, the process was streamlined and everyone ended up happier!

The process that I followed is what Consumer Reports was recommending at the time. I'm not sure what they recommend these days, since the Internet has probably change things a lot.

#77 ·
Of course they were thrilled. getting paid without having to work. But you didn't buy the car from them. You bought it from the manager.

Not what chef or I are referring to.

You don't like salesman, you don't respect salesman. You refer to some of what salesmen have to do as "Tricks" or being hostile, or not playing it straight. Not that there aren't salesman who do some stupid things, like trying to get your credit card, or not giving you the keys to your car back after they've taken them to have your car evaluated for trade. But these people are the exception, not the rule. No salesman is going to sell anything to someone they piss off. In your case you walk in pissed off. You don't like them and they know it!

BTW, As a side activity I help people buy cars. This is for family, friends and clients. I don't charge them anything but ask them to let me either do the deal for them from the get go, or at least let me review it before they pull the trigger. I know where all the money is hidden! Everybody is happy! The dealer moves a unit, the salesman gets paid, my friends/clients/relatives don't get hosed, its a win win! And safe to say this is something i know more than a little about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.