SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mobile and Looking for a Great Sailing Community
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

John33 is on a distinguished road
Mobile and Looking for a Great Sailing Community

Hi everyone -

My family and I (wife, three kids) are at Step One of our plan to buy a sailboat, live on board, and sail full-time. We're trying to be wise in how we're going about this, and our first step is going to be finding a great, active sailing community to get involved with.

What makes our situation fairly unique is this: for the past 2 years, we've been traveling around the US in an RV. We've gone from the East Coast to the West Coast and back, spent last winter in Florida (had a blast!) and we're currently in Maine until roughly the end of September. After that we have no definite travel plans.

We're now ready to pursue our sailing goals 100%, and we're trying to find a great location with a really active sailing community to settle down in while we learn to sail, look for a boat, make some new sailing friends, etc. The geographical location we settle down in doesn't matter too much - since we're mobile we can head just about anywhere.

So what we're looking for is a city 1) with a friendly, active sailing community where we (complete and total newbies) can easily get involved, 2) with generally decent weather, and 3) that has year-round sailing. East Coast would be ideal since we're in Maine, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to head back to the West Coast.

I'm thinking that some place in the southern US would be best (for the weather and the year-round sailing) but I'm looking for recommendations from you guys. Any particular cities that you've loved for sailing? Any amazingly awesome sailing communities that you can recommend? Anything else we should be thinking about?

Thanks for the help and ideas-

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook