SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Test in Sweden, open yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi, this weekend the traditional open yard inwater boatshow at Hallberg-Rassy in Ellös, Sweden, is taking place. Some 150 boats is showed and appr 24000 people visit.

I sailed my Opium 39 up from Gothenbourg today in very nice conditions, sun and 18-20 knots beam reach. Anchored near the show and vent for a run to Gullholmen marina. At the dock I found the Solaris One 37, the new Elan 400 and the Salona 38. Plenty of magazines where doing a comparative test of these three boats. Dines from Diamond-Yacht in Kiel, from who I bought the Opium was aboard the Solaris and told me that they smoked the other boats on the water. These tests are always diffucult to evaluate, the Solaris had carbon Hall spar and 2,4 m-bulb keel. Others had alu masts, keels I do not know. All had goid sails but the Salona was carrying more touring equipment.

The Solaris was stunning. As you can see from the pictures the Salona looked a little bit dated among thees new beats. Sorry, Paulo :-)

Regards,
Anders
Don't need excuses regarding your opinion but the fact is that a Salona 38 with identical specs of a Solaris 37 is a considerably faster boat and they have it, I mean Carbon rig, deep draft and epoxy, not to mention that it cost almost half the price.

You have on the North of Europe a famous Salona 37 (same hull) that have been racing at top level with great results. You will not be able to do that with a Solaris 37.

Have a looK:

?Feelgood? Salona 37 new ORCi European Champion! - Salona Yachts

Salona 37 won silver medal at ORC World Championship - Salona Yachts

and one big one more, just 4 days ago:

Öresund regatta: Team Feelgood Martin Nilsson i Salona 37 vinner Tjörn Runt

That's the boat:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8180676&type=3

There are more Salonas 37 competing at top level and winning, between them Lenco. Not a chance there for the Solaris...Yes I know, it was not made to compete at top level and it is only a relatively fast boat, not a fast boat...what can I say...I like fast boats.

Not saying that the Saloris 37 is not a great boat with a luxurious interior but in what regards myself I would prefer to buy a top Salona 38 and a brand new roadster for the price I would pay for the Solaris, or just spend the difference eating lobster and drinking champagne for the rest of my cruising days...but I am not a rich guy.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook