SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing the Perfect Boat
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

I agree that the speed of a trimarran is exhilarating and boats like these can be a thrill to sail on a short passage. I also think that a boat like the Explorer 44 looks like a great boat in certain ventues, one that would be fun to sail. But the limited weight capacity and weight distribution issues were one of the reasons that I sold my trimarran and is why I have never owned one since.

But the argument is not whether the Explorer 44 is a good boat, but more of one whose very presence relative to the voyage would disrupt the credibility and flow of the story line. Its a lot like the movie 'Wind'. If you are ever feeling down and dissed, and you need some adulation from some fellow sailors, all you need to do is stand before some sailros and blurt out, "Its time to break out the Womper". Suddenly, you are the sailing equivalent of Jerry Seinfeld, cracking up an audience with a pithy comment on society.

And it did not take sailors to perceive the silliness of the Womper. People who knew nothing about boats would ask me about that scene since it somehow seemed illogical to them.

To me, the choice of this particular boat is just another Womper, a cheap dramatic gimmick, that is unless the author can come up with a compelling reason that is seamlessly part of the plotline to chose this design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-21-2013)