SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing the Perfect Boat
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013
Author in research mode

DeeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

Once again, thanks to everyone for their precious input.

I would just like to point out that fiction, unless it wants to be utter fantasy, only reflects the reality of human nature. Even then, the author who can completely detach his story from any aspect of humanity is yet to start writing.

In the 'real' world, people do things that may not seem quite right to others. Some are deemed too conservative, some too little. It's a matter of perspective. We make mistakes, lots of them and all the time. So condemn a real sailor (or a fictitious one) for choosing a boat that is 'not quite right' (in your opinion but not necessarily that of others) because it would make a journey tough or neigh impossible? What, you mean to tell me that you've never met or even heard of someone who did exactly the same and still succeeded? Surely you can't be saying that it's okay for these things to happen in real life but not in fiction...

If people didn't attempt the impossible because they had to or just felt compelled to, the United States of America would still be a vast expanse of uncharted land.

Apart from that, I can think of a dozen of ways to get around the difficulties mentioned by Jeff (as well as others) and still make the story work. And that's before I even start thinking about it.
As I have pointed out to you before, Jeff, there are many things you don't know about my characters, let alone the story. So making assumptions as to whether they would do this or wouldn't do that is, at best, ambitious.

I wish I could tell you more about the story, if only to put your mind(s) at rest. Those who have written already, I am told they are numerous in this community, will understand why I can't. All I am able to do is give my assurance that the reason(s) why the boat is not exactly fit for the purpose of that particular journey makes complete sense. Until you get to read the manuscript or, even better, the book, you're going to have to take my word for it.

I perfectly get all the points that have been made on this thread, agree with those I already knew about and trust you on those I didn't –although I will check

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this thread. I intend to post more in the future and hope to the sea gods that they will generate as much controversy –it is a mine of inspiration.

Dee

Last edited by DeeB; 08-21-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook