SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ideas on which dinghy/small boat to buy?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013

nygabe is on a distinguished road
Ideas on which dinghy/small boat to buy?

I'm looking to buy my first boat to sail in LI Sound and am looking for suggestions on a dinghy, small cat boat or catamaran (not for racing, just day sailing)

I have a few years of experience renting Sunfish, Hobie Waves and Getaways. I love Sunfish and am leaning toward that, but I'd ideally like something slightly bigger/more stable so I bring along a second adult sometimes and have them be relatively comfortable. I'm only 120 lbs and need to be able to sail/right the boat single handed, even if turtled...

Hoping to find:

14 feet or less
beachable and light enough to use a hand dolly to launch on my own
simple to rig and low maintenance
good for 1 lightweight skipper to sail solo but also good with 2
ideally something I can find used

My ideas so far...Zuma (have read some negative reviews saying it's even less stable than a Sunfish?)...Hobie Wave (the height of the mast is a little more than I want to deal with being a novice, and the Bravo hull is too small)...Pixel/RS Feva/Megabyte (more controls/sails than I need). I'd love something like a traditional Beetle Cat, Sturdee-Cat or other small cat boat, are there any small ones that are low maintenance and lightweight (plastic or fiberglass rather than wood)? I'm not familiar with the brand names on those.

Thanks a lot for any advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook