SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to reseal floor to Zodiac tube
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Usually, once you have a lot of seams letting go...all you can do is chase them until the problem gets too big and you have to get rid of it.
I have a second-hand 1996 Zodiac Yachtline 1 C310 RIB in PVC, and the seams are failing, despite my habit of covering the tubes with a Sunbrella cover for the last five seasons. The above is true, but there is an alternative: Retube the RIB (if that's what you have). The RIB part is quite durable, and considering the cost (about $2,000 to $2,500) to retube in 17" Hypalon (vs. 16" PVC), it's a potential alternative.

Having said that, however, I see that a local inflatable place has nine foot Aqua Pro aluminum hulled RIBs for $2,300. They are around 80 lbs. and may make more sense because I can bridle it on deck with a halyard and avoid the cost of davits (which are useless out of harbours and will bugger up the windvane).

Lastly, you can sometime go on cruising nets and find returning couples letting beat-up but sound Hypalon inflatables go cheaply. I certainly would never buy PVC again, even in a northern latitude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook