Glad I found Sailnet

Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

IIRC, groups go through several stages:
Forming
Storming
Norming
Performing
Transforming

Seems like this crew never got past the Storming stage.

Here are some more details on each step:

IMHO, a good skipper watches to see what stage the crew is at, even if it's just subconsciously. You can then work through the issues that are holding your team back.

There are more specifics (and written very well) here: http://joeypauley.com/leading-high-performing-teams

In the very limited eperience I've had looking for crew, I did phone interviews looking for something specific. Then we talked on the boat prior to departure, learning about each other, and covering safety scenarios. Of course this was for a 2-day coastal cruise, a much shorter trip.

Regards,
Brad
(MS Applied Behavioral Science from Johns Hopkins -- was going for an MBA originally, but found this type of training personally interesting, so I started loading up on these types of courses.)

By the way, my personal favorite sayings for this are: "criticize behaviors not the person", and "politeness goes a long way". To me, those two guidelines help keep the stages progressing.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 08-22-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome