SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

I read this thread with interest as in the early 1980's I used to do yacht deliveries from Maryland and Florida down to the West Indies. These were non stop trips that normally lasted 2 to 3 weeks. The boats I sailed were in the 37-41 foot lengths and we had a total crew of 3 including Capt. We had no auto pilot (shifts were 3 hrs on and 6 hours off 24/7). We never took showers, and only used the freshwater for rinsing dishes and cooking/drinking. Bottled water and Gatorade and not been invented yet (those are both terrible inventioins as they generate tremendous plastic waste). We also navigated only by sextant as GPS and chart plotters had not been invented. We only had a VHF (epirbs, sat phone had not been invented and SSB was too expensive) We did have a life boat on board.

When I did the yacht deliveries, I never met the Capt or crew prior to boarding the ship. After boarding and helping provision and ready the boat (took a couple days) we left. The Capt or crew never had a problem, in fact, we all had a good time.

Man times have changed....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook