SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Wouldn't you think that if RD had made up any significant details such as the SWIFT incident, "Jane" would have gone to town on him for it?
Here is RD's account of their encounter with the SWIFT:

Quote:
Day 6, July 13:
Conditions were not getting better despite Jane talking to Harry. There was a significant mistrust towards Jake and I. We were not allowed to talk to each other and not permitted to sit at the navigation table and must stay in our berth, per Jane orders. In despair, Jake contacted a military ship “HS V2 Swift” nearby for rescue, claiming unsafe environment. Unfortunately Harry and Jane refused to let us leave the boat. The captain of Swift talked on the radio that they would monitor for 3 hours. They took away the VHF radio and sent Swift away. We were officially their prisoners.
It seems likely that Jake would have identified himself as an American citizen in his call for "rescue"... In his perfect English, "non-detectable New York lawyer accent", no less...

Later on, Harry - in English so poor and heavily-accented that RD stated at the outset was extremely difficult to understand/decipher - apparently tells the command of the SWIFT, in effect, "Never mind, everything's fine here, please go on your merry way... No, I'm sorry, you may not speak to the gentleman who called asking to be removed from the vessel. Besides, he's resting peacefully at the moment, and specifically requested that his sleep not be interrupted... Buh-BYE..."

Some might find such a scenario plausible... However, I do not...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-22-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook