SailNet Community - View Single Post - Water Useage/conservation Cruising
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Water Useage/conservation Cruising

Nice CD. Thanks for some pointers that will help us in the future. We are pretty new out here cruising, and can use all the help we can get.

Your numbers are spot on as far as I'm concerned. We carry 80 gallons, and go 3 weeks on that. It's just myself and my wife. So, just under 2 gallons/day per person. We don't carry bottled water these days. We did at first, but as you say, trash becomes an issue over time.

In the Bahamas, you not only pay for water in most places, but also pay to rid yourself of the bag or two of trash that has collected. $5.oo/bag in Staniel Cay.

We haven't used our tanks for showering so far. Fortunately, there were plenty of rainy days in the Bahamas. A dinghy holds a lot of water! That was what we used for bathing, and washing hair. We had stopped in Nassau on the way down to the Exumas. We showered there before heading down. The next shower that we had was when we returned to Nassau 5 weeks later.

I'll probably think of some questions for you in the future, so don't go away....

Ralph
Water view at low tide | sailing away with R & B
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook