SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need help buying a good used sailboat/live-aboard
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013

sailpower is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help buying a good used sailboat/live-aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
I won't consider a "day cruiser" a liveaboard. Unless she is truly designed and equipped to handle blue water cruising, if you try to live aboard a day cruiser, it is like living in a car. Don't do it.

Around Boston every year, some people get it into their heads they want to do this.
And they buy a 30 something footer and move aboard.

The vast majority of those vessels are for sale by the following June.

During their first year aboard, they wrapped their boat in plastic to keep warm, (like bums wrapping in newspaper), they either paid thousands for a diesel heater or kept blowing circuit breakers with their 35 amp service, replaced their on-demand water pump at least once, have lots of toilet "issues", while doing the early morning walk to the community showers, etc.

If you are going to liveaboard, buy a serious enough vessel to not have to wrap in plastic which therefore has interior walls / you're not looking at the inside of your hull, have your own shower(s), functioning toilets, serious water supply system, at least a 50 amp service, a washer & dryer would be civilized too... anotherwords she has to provide what most humans consider the basics for living comfortably.

Otherwise, you are either a bum at heart, (used to living in your car), a college student, or want to get divorced.

A typical house in Eastern Massachusetts costs around $300 - $400 K. Do not expect to replace that reality with a $50K boat.

I have recently witnessed a divorce of people who were together for many years.... he thought new chain plates were more important than running water.... and numerous "for sale" signs on boats boat last year with all the best of intentions.

To skip right to the chase, I would suggest a GulfStar 50 ketch, or BETTER. Those can be had for just less than $100K, will need a lot of work, i.e., $100Ksssss but, you will have an entry level liveaboard for the tight budget.

Also, if you buy a used boat to liveaboard, you damn well better be capable of doing plumbing, electrical, diesel work, carpentry, plus all the nautical skills you enjoy.

And you better be seriously up for tackling your "list" of projects every single weekend.

You work all week at your job to have the money to pay for the materials you install all weekend. Sometimes, you can go sailing...... and then you will break new things.

If you don't have those resources, go back to school, learn a higher paying career, then come back when you are ready. And, THEN you can name your boat the Triumph.
Ah, living aboard a sailboat during a Boston (Winthrop) winter. I did it on a Pearson 424 with a solid fuel heater and some plug-ins during a particularly nasty winter with ice under the boat.

I wasn’t shrink wrapped and mostly OK. A wise friend described my living arrangement as the most expensive way there is to go second class. Wise indeed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook