SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary night sail
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Wonderful story.. scary yes, but wonderful too. I bet you really made their night, possibly their year.

Being Handicapped should not stop anybody from sailing. If he can spare the funds to run all the lines to the cockpit and set up an autohelm, he should be good to go
That was has original plan. From a practical point of view I doubt if it matters.
Until I had last nights experience I really didn't understand the delays certain disabilities cause.

Neither Charlie or his wife can just slide over in their seat a couple feet to make room for someone else to reach gear they are in the way of.

That slide alone can take a while while he positions his feet with his hands then moves his body with his hands. It takes time especially when each step may only move him six inches. There is no way I can think of to modify the boat to run all lines to behind the wheel. Even if this was done I don't seem him being fast enough to switch from one side to the other.

Even with a bow thruster and an easy to maneuver boat what would hold the boat in place until the lines were run?
I'm sure with unlimited funds and engineering something could be rigged up. But then if something went wrong what would he do?

I think he is going to make a lot of friends. Hopefully they will have more skills than I.

But what do I know. I never expected him to even get the boat in the water. He was sanding the bottom from his wheelchair in the winter.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook