SailNet Community - View Single Post - Allmand 31
Thread: Allmand 31
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Allmand 31

I got a chance to work with the Allmand 31 and this is what I found in case anyone finds this thread.

When it was put in gear it usually started to pickup speed in either forward or reverse pretty quickly.

In gear for just two seconds then neutral for 30 seconds was about the only way to go dead slow.

It coasts for a long time, several boat lengths from ahead 2 knots.

Reverse can stop the boat but it takes some throttle to do it in any reasonable distance.

The right turn technique where you leave the helm starboard and reverse with prop walk until it starts moving backwards then hard forward until you start actually moving forward then reverse again seems like it might work but will probably take a little more than the length of the boat. Need to try that again.

Once the bow swung port instead of starboard. I'm assuming I allowed too much reverse way but I'll have to try it again.

In short it was not as responsive as a fin keel but not as bad as the Bristol 32 which so far is the worse.

There was not enough wind for me to tell how much the bow tends to blow down from freeboard and cabin windage.

The Bristol 32 is very very sensitive to windage especially in reverse.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-23-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook