Thread: Remote helm
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Remote helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Has anyone heard of a remote helm.

That way could could control the throttle, shift and steering from a wireless hand held box.

For someone single handing it would be handy to be able to control the helm from the bow.

Probably would be pretty easy to do with the new pod drives.
They've been around for some time, and are becoming more and more common on larger powerboats, given the incredibly poor visibility and sightlines from the helm on many boats today... Frankly, such gizmos scare the hell out of me, I've witnessed more than one instance of them going haywire, I want to be at the helm if anything goes wrong... Perhaps the closest call i have EVER had with a boat involved the failure of an engine control while maneuvering in a tight spot, I dread the thought of the possible outcome if I had been somewhere other than at the helm at the time :-)

As such systems require the installation of electronic controls, they would certainly not be applicable to the types of boats most of us sail... I've run plenty of powerboats with electronic controls, and secondary control stations, but I've yet to come across a sailboat with electronic controls at the helm...

Dock n' Go Joysticks excepted, of course :-)

Perhaps it's just me, but I've done my fair share of singlehanding, and I'm hard-pressed to recall an instance where I thought controlling the helm from to bow would be much of an advantage...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook