SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?

It's not the same thing. Our friend had the salt crystals and has used them extensively. But she was blown away with cooking on the salt block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Julie,
How long did it take to get the salt to 500degrees ? I'd think a fair while which may be the drawback ?
Cheers
Andrew B
We did it over an open burner. I'd say maybe 15-20 minutes to get it hot enough to cook on. The chef at the restaurant said they have their oven going 24-7 and keep the blocks in there but reading about it on the Internet it seems most favor on open flame or heated in the BBQ. You just have to bring it up to temperature slowly (doesn't have to be 500 if you leave it over the heat source) so it doesn't crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Julie,
My father lives near New Brunswick. What was the name of the restaurant and the dish you ordered? That sounds like a good place to get a gift certificate. Maybe with a requirement that he bring me along!
The restaurant was Stage Left. We ordered a four-course (four different types of beef, 2oz @) that included Kobe beef, grass fed beef, corn fed beef and something else. That plate alone was $69 (ouch!) and did not include any sides. We ordered au gratin potatoes as a side and a salad. We split the dishes and it was plenty for us.

This dish was not on the regular menu but I got the impression it was one of their specialties. You could also get 8oz of one type of beef for $49. also served with the salt block. I think it was the Kobe but I can't be sure.

A little primer on salt block cooking...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
jimgo (08-23-2013)