View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
No boat that is carrying a hundred pounds of grandma can possibly care about shorting water in the tanks for a race. They just blew it.
I was just about to say the same thing.

Oh and for the WATER MAKER IS NOT PERMITTED guy...

ISAF RULES FOR TRANSPAC

Quote:
3.21.2 Drinking Water
a) Each yacht shall have the necessary equipment (which may include watermakers and tanks containing water) permanently installed to provide at least 3 litres of drinking water per person per day for at least the likely duration of the voyage MoMu0
3.21.3 Emergency Drinking Water MoMu0,1,2,3
a) At least 9 litres (2 UK gallons, 2.4 US gallons) of drinking water for emergency use shall be provided in a dedicated and sealed container or container(s) MoMu1,2,3
b) In the absence of a power driven watermaker, at least 1 litre per person per day in at least two separate containers shall be provided for the expected duration of the voyage MoMu0
c) When a power-driven watermaker is on board, at least 500ml per person per day in at least two separate containers shall be provided for the expected duration of the voyage MoMu0
d) Facilities shall be provided to collect rainwater for drinking purposes including when dismasted MoMu0
e) All drinking water and any desalination units should be so arranged that drinking water is readily accessible when the yacht is inverted.
Also ISAF and Transpac require that the skipper and crew be trained, and experienced on the very same boat they sail on, they must practice together, and a whole lot of other stuff that never happened on this boat for this race.

This should have been a really fun trip, a great story for the kids and grandkids about the time "I was in the Transpac Ocean Race" but instead it was a nightmare. I kind of think it was probably not much better on some of the other boats, because of the anger management, the stupidity of doing things the hard way on the basis of "because that is the way it is done".

Minne, when you sail do you like to enjoy it? If you went sailing with me I would really want you and everyone else to enjoy it, especially if we were going to be on the boat nonstop for say three weeks. I would want you to have a shower too. If I went sailing with someone who was angry, arrogant, and cruel I would not enjoy it.

Kind of a weird vacation. Get in a small confined space, go out to the middle of the ocean where I cannot get away from anyone and be treated all kinds of wrong by a crazy screaming lady and her crazy screaming partner. Nope, does not sound like fun to me.

If anyone comes sailing with me I will let them keep their socks.