SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Minne, when you sail do you like to enjoy it? If you went sailing with me I would really want you and everyone else to enjoy it, especially if we were going to be on the boat nonstop for say three weeks. I would want you to have a shower too. If I went sailing with someone who was angry, arrogant, and cruel I would not enjoy it.
Mark, I agree with many of your points. But I also have to say that you really are missing the point of serious racing. Enjoyment in racing comes from winning. And winning requires a lot of the stuff you list above that makes you uncomfortable. It's the desire to win that allows racers to endure the discomfort.

All that means is that you're probably not a racing kind of guy. You like showers. I'm a "semi-racing" kind of guy. I love to race - and can forego the showers, but my boats will be heavy because I want good food and plenty of water.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the racing mindset. This is an important thing to keep in mind in this debate. I admire that mindset.

As in this example, where it goes wrong is when someone plans like they're a serious racer (maybe because they are advised by a serious racer on how to plan) - when, in fact, they're not very good at sailing in the first place. Dangerous combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-23-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook