SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Has Anyone Used Salt Block BBQ Cooking?

The restaurant brought out the heated salt block on a 3/4" piece of oak that was routed out about 1/8" deep in the middle to fit the 8x8x2 block. The wood was warped and charred but ours didn't set the wood on fire. About 3/4 the way through the meal, we asked for a fresh block because ours was losing heat.

At our friend's house, we cooked right on the cooktop and that kept the block hot throughout the meal. She has her cooktop in an island and we just stood around it and ate the food fresh off the salt block. A few days later she invited one of her friends over and we did it again. Her friend just raved about it and couldn't wait to bring the idea back home to her husband.

The blocks are usually 1.5" or 2" thick. If you're going to bring it to the table, I'd buy the 2" thick ones. That monster block the lady had in the video has runs about $90. I ordered (2) 8x8x1.5 for $35 each. I figured that way I could lay them side-by-side on the burner when cooking for more people or I could rotate them if putting the salt block on the table.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook