SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Here's a short blurb from a crew member of another transpac 2013 boat.
This was a hard fought and well-earned victory for the Cirminal Mischief crew. The whole crew worked together and worked hard. No one had any ego, everyone pitched in- packing kites, grinding, making each other coffee or a snack, you name it. We gelled as a team and endured a 9 day long dog fight with two Rodgers 46's, two J/125's and an Open 50. Every morning when the navigator Brendan came up to brief us on our position, the report was the same, "we're in a dead heat, guys. we have to push 100%." So we did. We had some sail issues, failures and other little problems but we dealt with all of them impressively well, losing almost no time. I'll be doing a full write up in the next couple of days, maybe after the awards this Thursday.

Epic race with a great crew! Go the Criminal Mischief!
link

Too bad Ronnie didn't write the more detailed post. However, I had a chance to chat with him regarding this year's race. He said the boat was designed for racing, not cruising, and was therefore quite uncomfortable. Add that dynamic to the stress of ocean racing, in general, and you have a situation that could have made the trip unbearable. Instead, he said it was quite invigorating. And, from my understanding, the crew worked together like a well-oiled machine. They came in first in their division, and importantly, now have another great memory to add to their life book. Pretty awesome, imo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook