SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Egg Harbor Shoaling
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Great Egg Harbor Shoaling

I grew up sailing the Great Egg inlet, and it can be exciting. The worst was when the CG ran the channel past the Longport rocks. So we had rocks to port and breakers to starboard. I ran aground once on a Carter 3/4 ton when I crewing as bowman. Interesting.

I asked the question because my Brother-in-Law swears that the channel is almost non-existent with only 9' feet at the GE buoy. Then he said that his depth sounder has been out for most of the season. So I question his "data" and seek something more definitive.

He did report significant shoaling in the channel between Ocean City and Somers Point. I believe that because when I sailed there in the 70's and 80's it was always filling in.

Quote:
Date: 2013-06-06
Captain: Frank Quigley+, Annapolis (162)

Came through 6/4/13 at half tide with 15 knots of wind and three foot swell. I had no less than 18 feet through the inlet.
The coast guard moved the markers and the inlet has been dredged. The markers are now further north than before (aprox 1/2 mile)

That said, I hear from my friends that there are vast changes in the bay itself. Excessive caution is in order. And make sure your towing policy is up to date.
Thanks... great report.