SailNet Community - View Single Post - Great Egg Harbor Shoaling
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Great Egg Harbor Shoaling

Quote:
Still dangerous today, but a tamed puppy compared to 20 plus years ago.
Growing up in OC, I saw the inlet in all kinds of conditions. Now, as then, I would not enter if it was blowing over 20 kts. Since I have been gone so long, I would not enter at night BUT... TRUE STORY..

My first date with Vicky, (my future bride, current boat's namesake) was a night sail in 1978 out of OC into the ocean on my dad's '77 Catalina 30. She was (and continues) to be 30 minutes late for everything and we didn't get to the boat until somewhere around 8PM. We sailed with two other friends (who also married and are still together, BTW) out past the GE buoy and finally got back to the dock around 1130 PM. The girl married me and the boat didn't break so the inlet couldn't have been that bad. My dad was nuts for letting a 19 yo kid take his new boat out in the ocean at night.....but that's another story.

Great Egg inlet isn't that bad if the buoys are followed, but I doubt that the CG moves them every day. But they are moved often as there is a CG station in OC, so they have a vested interest in keeping the inlet open.

Thanks all for the current info.