SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Title? need help

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  JoeLena 
#1 ·
Howdy again. Is there a boat title on a 1974 boat? I'm wanting to buy one but not sure what papers to look for when doing the transaction. What are coast guard papers? Any help will be much appreciated.

#2 ·
There should be a title from your state. There are only Coast Guard papers if it is registered with the coast guard, and I believe there are some instances where a state registration may be foregone with the CG reg.

#3 ·
it depends on the state too. I know NY does not title boats over a certain age. My 1063 SeaSprite 23 came to me with a notorized Bill of sale. It will have a title once I take care of that here in NJ.

#5 ·
it depends on the state too. I know NY does not title boats over a certain age. My 1063 SeaSprite 23 came to me with a notorized Bill of sale. It will have a title once I take care of that here in NJ.
Holy crap, you must have gotten the very first one.... just picking

#4 ·
USCG documentation serves as a title. If the boat is not documented, you'll have to check the state the boat is registered in to see if they title boats. If not, then a bill of sale signed by the seller and buyer should be enough to register it.

#8 ·
I just went through this issue in Florida with a boat from Georgia. Georgia doesn't title boats so the seller didn't have one so we had to use a bill of sale. Make sure your bill of sale is VERY descriptive about the boat. I bought a 76 Chrysler 22 and the guy I bought it from only said sailboat and trailer for description. The Tax Collectors office made me track him back down and rewrite the BOS to say White with Blue strip 1976 Chrysler 22 Sailboat Hull ID #...... And we had to write up a separate BOS for the trailer in order to get it registered. I had to remove the boat from the trailer, get it weighed, then bring all those papers to the Tax Collectors office to make it official.

#10 ·
Georgia does not title boats. You need a bill of sale, can be had on the DNR website. If you buy a boat that does not have a current registration you will need to either have it inspected, or show some kind of paper trial from the last time it was registered. Can be a headache, I have done that before. Let me know if you need more specifics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.