SailNet Community - View Single Post - Self steering dilemma
View Single Post
post #31 of Old 08-24-2013
Re: Self steering dilemma

Originally Posted by Exile1 View Post
Mark -- Is your comment re: windvanes mostly about the risk of deviating off course with changes in wind direction, esp. when single or short-handed? As someone who singlehands a lot, what do you use for backup, if anything? Is heaving-to for rest realistic if all else fails?
Hi Dan,

I know 3 boats lost thru wind vanes and only 2 were solo.

Yes, its a wind shift problem... and one of the examples hass appeared in the next post to yours!

I dont have a back-up my Raymarine (ex charter boat so its done lots of miles) has had 35,000nms trouble free except for a small spot just north of Bahamas where it started playing up and I had to hand steer for a bit. Funnily enough the error occured again at the same latitude in the ICW 6 months later!

My back up would be to hand steer and hove to when tired. On a long passage it wouldnt be fun... but it would be a bit character building.

Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Jeanne has just completed her 3rd single handed circumnavigation.
The back up was a Hydrovane which just kept on ticking.

Well, you mis-read it or she is lying.
In 2008 her boat was lost on a mexican beach (after I met her both sides of Panama) when her overslept her alarm and while she was asleep the wind changed and her wind vane put her boat on the boach as a total loss. The boat wasnt as good as the Najad so it was fortuitous for her to get an insurance payout plus whatever to have the new Najad built.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-24-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome