SailNet Community - View Single Post - Self steering dilemma
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013

Exile1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Self steering dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hi Dan,

I know 3 boats lost thru wind vanes and only 2 were solo.

Yes, its a wind shift problem... and one of the examples hass appeared in the next post to yours!

I dont have a back-up my Raymarine (ex charter boat so its done lots of miles) has had 35,000nms trouble free except for a small spot just north of Bahamas where it started playing up and I had to hand steer for a bit. Funnily enough the error occured again at the same latitude in the ICW 6 months later!

My back up would be to hand steer and hove to when tired. On a long passage it wouldnt be fun... but it would be a bit charter building.

Mark
Always great to hear opinions from sailors like yourself who are out there doing it!

I have had a similarly positive experience with my below-decks B&G. In fact, I have an excellent dealer who has helped me learn the finer points of the system, and he consistently talks me out of spending lots of money on spare parts! Like a windvane, balancing the sail plan is essential, esp. for conserving amperage. When appropriate (fully awake near shore or far offshore w/alarms), I can also set it to steer off the wind like a windvane and not have to fuss with sail trim. This is particularly helpful when tacking upwind. I agree that it steers much better than I can on any point of sail.

I am nonetheless more positive than you about windvanes, but this is only from what I read & hear vs. actual experience. B'twn cost, installation, and having a larger, center cockpit boat, I have been reluctant to conclude that it is the way to go for me. FWIW, there's a wheel pilot made by CPT that is reputed to be the only one robust enough for larger, heavier boats. It costs about $2,000 and can be stowed in a small case unless needed for emergency backup.

I must confess to some paranoia after reading so many internet posts about AP failures & the ubiquitous "Mr. Murphy". This is thus far contrary to my own experience with my AP and apparently yours as well.

Thanks again for chiming in.

Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook