SailNet Community - View Single Post - small boat for beginner
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
If you are going to be sailing in Boston Harbor then you should look into Courageous Sailing Center. They are a non-profit sailing organization in Charlestown that has a fairly large fleet of boats, including 20 or so Rhodes 19 and a few larger boats. I first learned to sail with them and paid something like $350 for 12 hours of lessons and then unlimited use of their boats for me and my friends for the entire summer (and there are always boats available as long as you reserve the day before). It was the best deal ever...plus the Rhodes 19 are perfect boats for daysailing in the harbor and if you start early in the morning you can make it out to the harbor islands and anchor, swim, and do whatever on the beaches and make it back to the dock before sunset. Plus, to get your overnight kicks they organize a few overnight trips out the islands each summer. If I still lived in Boston I wouldn't buy a boat I would just sail through Courageous...althought I definitely understand the satisfaction of owning your own boat so I don't want to discourage you...just let you know of other options.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook