SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solomon Islands a must
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Solomon Islands a must

Quote:
Originally Posted by OziDude View Post
Hi ya Smack,

Thanks. Savo was indeed a beautiful place. It was pretty much a time out for me away from the hussle and bussle of Honiara. I spent most of my time lazing in the hammocks, swimming and going for a few walks. I will be making sure I get to spend longer there next time when time is of really no importance.

Towards the end of next year I will be moving to Cairns and its not a very big jump from there to the Sollies

OziDude
If you get back to Savo. Hire a guide to take you up to the dome of the volcano. One of the spookiest things I've ever experienced happened up there. We were standing on the lava dome - if you stamp your foot you can feel the hollow vibration like a drum. That was spooky, but not nearly as spooky as the "breath".

Our guide lit some palm fronds on fire and set them by a steam vent. After about 10 seconds, smoke started pouring from the vent. The guide said the volcano could "sense the flame" and would "breathe" with it. When the fire went out, the smoke stopped.

Lots of strange things in the Solis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-24-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook