SailNet Community - View Single Post - Nextgen 5.5 genset
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Nextgen 5.5 genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greguk View Post
get the feeling that it's not a great product but I have nothing to compare it against. Only other genset I've owned was a Kohler and it had issues as well. Might just be par for the course. Seems like the NexGen eats Capacitors as mine, and those my friend own, have all gone through several. Possible that it's heat related, mine resides in Southern Texas and it's HOT.
I've used Onans for half a century and found them to be quite reliable and long lasting. If you are searching for one, I would suggest one built before PC boards; they use relays easily found at any auto parts store. Norther Lights generators had a very good reputation some years ago, but I don't know what the more modern ones are like. I don't see a lot of requests for help about them on the forums.
Every generator requires good maintenance and use. They do not do well, being used only a couple of hours a month.