SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beyond Desolation at last
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Beyond Desolation at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
Thanks for sharing, you guys had a fantastic trip! I was around Sonora Island on salmon fishing in early August and noticed that apart from the fantastic weather, that there was almost no wind (other than on the more open waters on Georgia Straits). I also noticed your sails always nicely packed on all photos, so I am wondering if you guys had any luck to do any sailing at all, or it was all motoring?
There was not a lot of sailing, truth be told. Either there was little or no wind, or we were on a 'rapids schedule'. However we did sail when we could but we're pretty good at getting covers back on when done, esp in sunny conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I really like the way you use google earth to show your track. That really adds to the travel log. Ron, were the resorts up there primarily supported by the sport fishermen, or the boating community? It's a shame that they are unable to make a living at it.

Most everyone we talked to said that potlucks were pretty standard at many of the marinas up in that neck of the woods. We just got back from three weeks up there. I made a sun awning out of ripstop nylon and it got a lot of use.
Thanks Ray, sorry we missed you.

We did partake of the famed 'Echo Bay Pig Roast', more on that later when I sort through the 700+ pictures that came back. A bit of a mixed review on our part...

Lagoon cove marina is known for it's happy hour prawns, provided free to moorage customers.. we did not stay there overnight, however. The originator of the traditions sadly died over the winter, but the family carries the it on.

Sullivan Bay marina seems thriving, we stopped there briefly for a walk and for some fuel. Mainly larger powerboats, mostly US, along with a number of high end float homes.

Minstrel Island's decline is a bit of a mystery, but fire and allegedly some illegal agriculture on the property played a part. The land has been surveyed and subdivided into lots, but apparently has gone no further. In the meantime the remaining buildings are a mess and deteriorating.

Greenway Sound resort was an all floating affair with no land access.. and seemed a going concern until just a few years ago. The float buildings are there closed up, and the extensive deep water docks (no pilings) are twisting as you can see, and may not fully survive another winter.

Thanks for all the comments.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook