SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailable projects?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road
Sailable projects?

I've been dinghy sailing on club rentals lately and starting to feel ready to graduate to my first keelboat, when fiscally feasible. I have, of course, been monitoring the various web sites where local boats are available and have come up with the following question:

If one's current primary interest is day-sailing but long term plans include local cruising/camping, does buying a boat with a good hull, deck and rigging/sails but which needs almost completely new interior make sense?

Generally speaking the boats in my intended investment range (<$5000 purchase and initial repairs/refits) are 1960s-80s fiberglass 22s, in various states of neglect/disuse. Just a couple of what I regard as the 'good' ones below:

1966 Classic 23 Kenner Kittiwake Sailboat
Sailboat - Catalina 22 1985

Provided that the owner is correct about the seaworthiness of the vessel, might there be some benefit in buying the boat with the stripped interior and putting the 'saved' $1600 into more modern systems which I would then be familiar with, as opposed to fixing older systems via trial and error/pleas for info on sailnet?

New cushions, porta potty, propane stove and fridge, led lights, modern wiring, new water tank, maybe sink and pumps... what am I not thinking of?

break out the boat bucks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook