SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats - Beneteau Oceanis 38

Test sailed the Oceanis 38 in Sweden today. Very light winds, 7-8 knots and really sh..ty sails. Furling main without battens was approximately the size of my sons Optimist-sail

Anyway, the boat still took off and made appr 5-6 knots high on the wind. The hull is rather high in the rear and release water very nice in these conditions. The same goes for running under engine. Shaft is also replaced with S-drive so engine very quiet and without vibrations.

Stearing rather heavy though, and wheels small but this was one of the 7 pre-production examples that are shown at boat shows and then evaluated before serial production starts in november.

The hull looks really nice but as Paulo, myself and others have said before, the rig, blocks, sheeting etc. needs refinement for active and nice sailing experience. I spoke in lenght with the swedish journalist representative in the European Yacht Jury. He had test sailed the boat this morning and he also thought it was really easy driven and very innovative. He agreed that Beneteau could partly replace the First line with this hull with a better rig.

Regards,
AndersOceanis 38 low res.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook