SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailable projects?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailable projects?

I don't think "all there" is necessary, you just want most of it there.

If you've done some sailing then figure out what you are most particular about (for me that would be sail condition and running rigging) and don't worry about that being "there". However you'd want to find one where the other expensive stuff is in good condition (for me that means good hull and deck, good interior condition, good motor to even consider a boat).

Smaller boats that require new sails, motor, and interior should be free and will still cost more than one that is well cared for. For instance I know that about $15,000 (and many hours) have been spent on this boat in the last 24 months (that's my old boat that I talked about in post #2):
Catalina 25 Tall Rig Fixed Keel - 1984

However it's likely to sell for little more than half of that.

On my Pearson 28 I've spent at least $5k on sails, running rigging, bottom paint and electronics. This was a boat that was as close to "turn key" as I could find and some of my upgrades were optional, but some were required (like a new furler and replacing main halyard).