SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remote helm
Thread: Remote helm
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Remote helm

Jon I'm not going to argue with you about this for the very good reason that you have thousands of more hours at the helm than I and are a professional. And frankly it doesn't concern me personally, I hope. IOW I suspect is is unlikely you will ever encounter me on the water acting clownish and you feel it necessary to blow me off the road.

You have your mind made up about this situation and you don't seem to be in a mood to change.
Personally your experience and posting are more valuable to me than being right or wrong on this one incident.

For the rest of us what an education.

Here you have one of our own. A known good guy and fellow sailor. His attitude is that if someone is in his way and acting "clownish" he has the right to blow him off the road at 25 knots and finds it funny if they get grounded. I don't know how he would feel if the guy holed his boat on one of those stumps or got seriously hurt but that was a risk he took with the other guys boat and life too.

Now this is the lesson I got.

Imagine what we look like to Tug captain or better yet to a chinese super container ship captain. This guy may never had even set foot on anything less that 1,000 tons. His boss is bitching that he has to get to the dock to unload and every hour he is late is costing thousands.

I suspect that for some their only care about whether we will slow him down a minute or not and if someone sees him sink us it may cause some annoying paperwork.

Guys and gals you may be on your own out their more than you think.
Any perceived un-seamanship behavior due to inexperience or a touch too much confidence may set someone off.
Not everyone cares about your well being and some people feel justified in teaching you a lesson.

Be careful out there.

I guess it is not too different from land.
Back in the 80's my wife and I rode out 10 speed bikes from West Haven, CT to South Carolina.
In order to get past NYC we had to get across a bridge. I believe it was the Gothels bridge.
You couldn't ride you bike on the bridge but you could call for a transit worker to pick you up on one side and drive you across the bridge.
He let us off on the other side of the bridge. I would have liked for him to take us to an exit but he didn't.
So we in in 10 speeds with heavy saddle bags hugging the shoulder heading for the exit.
A semi came flying by us at speed about six inches from our handlebars blowing us off the road.
Apparently he felt compelled to teach us a lesson about where we should and should not bike.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook