SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Your Sabre is a great boat. Certainly can keep up with our C&C BUT I do carry a 150 and have a K/ cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Rob, re: the water tanks on my sabre; they are

under each settee. Port and Starboard. So if one were to convert a settee to a dinette, you'd have to pull one of the water tanks and probably some of the cabintry behind. Not worth the effort and loss of water carriage imo.

re: speed. I meant to say that my sabre is no slug. I don't think you would be disappointed in her sailing performance at all. I do tend to shorten sail before some others, but then I think sailing flatter is faster... burying the rail, sailing on her ears may be exhilerating but doesn't get you there faster. That's one reason that I took the 150 genoa off. I can fully deploy the 135 more frequently in our avg. conditions.

I can't really speak to it's performance compared to a CC... maybe next time Chef is passing though NJ/NJ we can race to the statue..from Sandy Hook. ;-)

The build quality is generally excellent, but there are things that I thought Sabre could have done better, that could reveal themselves in older vessels that were not well maintained. In particular, I was surprised at the amount of raw untreated wood..bulkheads etc. My exterior and interior handrails are just screwed into the core and a likely source of any water intrusion. I took them off 3 years ago and dug out old core and re-filled with epoxy. The chainplates penetrate the deck at deck level and if not re-bedded can allow water penetration. On the other hand they did things like install Spartan Seacocks, which imo are almost bulletproof.

While I have not kept up with all the Catalina models, I think they have done a great job responding to the design criteria of the typical modern family cruiser..who desire a little more volume and creature comforts below. I see catalina's everywhere I go on the east coast doing just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook