SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remote helm
Thread: Remote helm
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013

sailorboy15 is on a distinguished road
Re: Remote helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
So, in the face of this clown's obstinate refusal to take proper control of his own vessel, and his repeated waving me on to overtake him (I know that wave, have seen it hundreds of times over the years, it says 'Come on by, no need to slow for me, I'll be fine...'), I resorted to passing him as expeditiously as possible, given the circumstances...
Jon I am going to have to say that even if there could be an argument under the rules that you are partialy responsible(they way the rules are written no one is ever free of fault) in my mind you did nothing particuarly wrong. You demonstrated a much greater understanding of your vessel then the average powerboater by bringing it up on plane as you passed minimizing the effect of your wake. He also waved you on, in my mind he was taking responsibility for the reaction of is vessel to your wake. I think the reason that your story seems to have struck a bit of a nerve with some people is due to many of us sailors haveing powerboaters constantly blowing past us and haveing no regard for the effect of there wakes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook