SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prout Catamarans Went Bankrupt
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2002

Constantin is on a distinguished road
Prout Catamarans Went Bankrupt

A couple more details from the articles:

All 11 boat projects under way continue to be built, so current owners-in-waiting are not in trouble. The suppliers to Prout, on the other hand, are hopping mad. I''d like to learn more about this sort of bankruptcy since the company was apparently reborn almost instantly with the same owners but no obligations...

Interestingly, the demise was blamed in part on bad exchange rates and a wide range of models. Larroux (sp?), a Quest rep claimed that Prout did not retire older boat varieties quickly enough as new models became available.

I guess this is another way of saying that the price hikes for newer models were hard to pass on? Another problem was the number of manhours required to finish a boat, 2x over plan on average (~5,000 instead of 2,500 man-hours)...

To think that we''ll probably spend close to 750 manhours fixing OEM defects on our Escale makes me laugh at this figure.

Anyway, Prout has already found one buyer for its new 70'' catamaran. Since the new construction facility is in Thailand I suppose labor overruns will no longer be as relevant as they were in England.

Constantin
<a href=http://www.vonwentzel.net> www.vonwentzel.net</a>
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook