SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary night sail
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

Thought you guys might like to hear the latest installment. I just got off the phone with Charlie.

Last weekend the Power squadron had a little rally between CT and Mattituck LI across the sound.

I didn't go so Charlie got a Power Squadron Guy (PSG) to skipper.

They got a really late start but got out of the slip ok and decided to fuel up on the way out.
The fuel dock is port side parallel to the channel on the way out.

PSG was steering and noticed a large fast powerboat heading in aiming for the fuel dock also. He decided to back off and let the power boat go first. After putting the boat in reverse the stern kicked to the port then the engine stopped. Remember how I said the throttle was very sensitive and idle and off were hard to distinguish.

They were blown into the docked boats and were fending off by hand. Charlie got his had between the boats and broke it. They got towed out by the marina guys and got fuel they exchange insurance info with the two boats they hit.
By then the engine started and they decided to continue.
By the time they made the Mattituck inlet it was dark. They shortly grounded and called for sea tow.
A short time later the tide floated them off and they went a little further then grounded again.
A little later they floated off again and finally made their slip.
On the way back the next day Charlie noticed his hand is swelled up and he canít close his fingers.
He goes to the doctor the next day and finds out his had had a broken bone.
Any way Iím trying to get Charlie to see that an engine that takes five minutes to restart after running for a while is not normal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook