SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Dragonfly 28/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I had narrowed my search down to a Dragonfly 28 or Dragonfly 32. But since there is a considerable difference in price, I figured we should probably go for a DF 28. They are also available as used boats, which would save me some more money

I was offered to rent a DF 28 from the Stockholm based Dragonfly dealer, and so I did! I went for a 4 day cruise with my family. Our main objective was to find out if the boat was big enough for us to live in during 2-3 weeks vacation. Conclusion: Itīs not! While there are many places to stow things, itīs inevitably a bit cramped inside the boat, with the four of us there at the same time! I bumped my head quite a few times... We had really nice wheather, so we spent most time outside. But every morning and evening, we experienced a bit of elbowing down below! For weekends itīs fine, because we only go sailing on weekends when the weather is good. But on extended trips, we need a boat that is more comfortable.

We didnīt rent it to find out if it was a good performer, I already know it is. However, we did get some exciting sailing! This boat was equipped with a self-tacker, which suits us very well. I did alot of the sailing myself, and when tacking back and forth in the narrow passages of our archipelago, the self-tacker proved to be invaluable! In 20+ knots of wind with 1st reef in the main, we were doing 8,5-10,5 knots upwind. Bearing of only a few degrees once, we immediately hit 12 knots.

The last few miles we decided to take down the sails and motor our way to the harbour. With the wind on our nose, I sure wished for an inboard engine...

So, despite some very nice days on the DF 28, we decided that we need to go bigger! The DF 32 will be the choice for us. But wait a minute, there are two DF 35īs for sale in Sweden...

//Mr W
Yes that was also my impression seeing the two boats interiors. The 32 is a true cruising boat, the 28 more a kind of weekender,able to cruise a week but no more. In that respect there are a huge difference between the two boats....and in price too if I remember well. Not a big difference in speed though.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook