SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommended Reading
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Recommended Reading

Manatee .... my apologies for not responding (noticing) your post earlier than this.

Over in another thread I saw mention of M.A.Calahan "Learning to Cruise". My copy (second hand) arrived yesterday and I had a quick look throuhg last evening. It was written in 1936 so of course much of it is out of date but really everyon who aspires to go cruising should read this book. It is an utter delight.

"You who have cruised know what I mean. You have felt the kick of the wheel and the long powerful surge through the seas. You have watched the sun go down in crimson majesty and felt the comforting friendliness of the far off blinking lights. You have lain on deck and watched the nodding sails blank out the stars. You know what I mean.

Or another day. It is late afternoon. The hook is down with plenty of scope in the peace and loveliness of a quiet anchorage. The sails are furled; the flags come down, the riding light is put up. Somewhere ashore a dog is barking and chickens are making a fuss about going to bed. Smoke curls from the Charley Noble and the smell of coffee mingles with the smell of the tide. The air is turning chilly. You go below to the snuggest of homes. You eat with voracious appetite. You sleep to a lullaby of small wavlets and slapping halyards. You know what I mean. " H.A. Calahan.

How evocative is that ?

Riddle of the Sands is indeed a fine read and yes while the movie was not the book, what movie ever is ?

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook